Tuesday, February 22, 2011

HAVE A HEART, BUT NOT HEART DISEASE....

By Kyra O. Davenport 

Its gotten to the point where I feel guilty every time I pull into a McDonald's restaurant or drive thru. I sit in my car and tell myself to turn around and go to Subway or Panera  Bread, but then happens I look at the menu and remember how appetizing those famous Mickey D's fries are and how that Big Mac is so succulent with every bite, and who can forget that sugar so sweet, Iced tea. Why so much debate might you ask? Well of course its unhealthy, and it can cause so many health issues and fast, as we witnessed in the shocking, yet informative documentary "Supersize me", besides this I am a black woman and their is a silent killer that creeps up slowly on to Black women and Latina women more so than Caucasian women....heart disease.

When I was a fresh college grad and I received my first job working for the government, entry level, secure, and respectable salary, I didn't miss a meal, in fact I ate McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!!!! Was I out of my mind? Certainly not, but I was definitely walking on dangerous territory, well this all came to a screeching halt when I decided to get my cholesterol checked at my local CVS. The results were in and the doctor approached me with an odd look on her face as she asked me " Ms. Davenport how is your diet, what have you been eating?" I was stunned. When I returned home that evening and told my parents this disheartening news, they were furious, I warned you about your eating habits, you have to stop now! young people are not as invincible as they think they are!, says my father. He is absolutely right its habits like this that can lead to heart disease and an early grave, a tragedy.  The next day I exercised, cooked breakfast, and packed a lunch, I was afraid for this to get out of control, my cholesterol levels are normal today, I took action, I know my life is worth preserving as is yours.


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004449 explains: "Coronary heart disease (CHD) is a narrowing of the small blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen to the heart. CHD is also called coronary artery disease." Here are a few ways to reduce risks  heart disease include getting rest, eating healthy, exercise, and do not stress!!! pray, find hobbies, indulge in your hobbies, talk to your family and friends about your problems, find solutions, do not stew and brew, it is very unhealthy and takes away from the quality of our lives.Not only will I challenge you to take control, but have the desire to take control, it is idolatry that can ultimately lead to destruction in our lives, take charge now!!!



QUICK FACT: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/heartdiseases.html#cat1 says, but heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S. It is also a major cause of disability. There are many different forms of heart disease. The most common cause of heart disease is narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries, the blood vessels that supply blood to the heart itself. This is called coronary artery disease and happens slowly over time. It's the major reason people have heart attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment